Saturday 1 February 2014

Chinese New Year 2014

Happy Chinese New Year! So Day One is done, next stop—Day Two. Have you been wearing new clothes from top to toe? Well, the boyfriend surely does, not me (but I admit I do wear from top to toe, in to out full set on the first day and that was so long time ago, not now). However, I do wonder if there’s anyone who has 15 sets of outfits for their cny celebration… Well, I’m definitely not that type of people who need that much of cny outfit. For me, one is enough. Plus, I’ve brought back some of the dresses I’ve bought and wore in Kuala Lumpur as my cny outfit. You must be thinking “but it’s already been worn, how to considered it new??”. There’s an old fashion or some superstition thinking where people are ought to wear at least at something new during cny, especially on day one. They said since its NEW year, you must wear NEW! Anyway, my KL dresses are really considered to be new cause my parents had never seen it and I’ve never wore here. What more, buying new outfit is just major hectic right now. Boutiques and malls are just filled with people you’ve never seen (which I really think they came right out of nowhere) buying their last minute cny outfit. Most of them don’t even care about the pattern, material, or even the look when they went on testing. As long as they have a cny outfit, that’s considered to be done in the “cny must-do list”. And that surely aint gonna be me. I can’t live without considering the look. If the outfit doesn’t suit me, means it won’t make me look good no matter how.

Anyway, lunar eve dinner was fantastic. Food was way different than the usual ones my parents cooked. For the past few 10 years. I’ve having foods such as pepper pork stomach soup, fried fish, roasted duck, braised chicken, braised sea cucumber, salad prawns…well, these are just what I’ve been eating all along. Pretty much boring right? This year, mum bake the duck instead of roasted, dad made spring roll (just like those where you eat in a Japanese restaurant), steamed pork stomach filled with wild mushrooms, sauté fish in fried ginger honey chicken wings and Tibet black fungus. These are way much easier for me to digest overnight, honestly! Because last two years ago, dad cooked a lot of seafood including baby abalone, scallop and other stuff which give tasty in the night but indigestion in the morning. I woke up puking non-stop and I had to missed my church service for the first time, lucky me I wasn’t on the rooster to play the piano on that morning.

Do’s and Dont's during Chinese New Year

Besides of wearing new outfit, the first that will ever appear on the top is the broom! The famous broom issue…Never take it out from the corner and start sweeping the floor cause you might be sweeping off the good luck. And a lot of people are very particular with this. If the floor gets dirty, just take a cloth to wipe it off (this shows that having an open house on the first day may ended up to be the worst idea when you saw food drops onto the floor and you can’t use the broom!). Tell you what, three years back, my cousins’ son broke the cupboard glass door and it was a Code RED for me cause glass cuts and it must be clear immediately! So I started vacuuming the floor. My father doesn’t’ seems to be pissed but he was rather angry (I can see it in his eyes), is either the glass door or the vacuum. But I do think after the first day, sweeping the floor on the second day onward should be alright.

C’mon, it’s still new year what…Why you kept on staying inside your room and be an anti-social kiddo? Just go out and talk with your parent’s friends or your relatives. No wonder a lot of people are not getting any cny mood, is because y’all are 24/7 on gadgets! I know cny are always under hot weather and I really do understand that you would rather stay in an air con room. BUT this year is different! Weather is unlike usual that hot anymore. Since the cold wind from China had blown to our country. And one thing, please greet, you won’t want people to give you an attitude face when you visit them right? Remember, smiling is the kind of gold you can’t buy with money. So just enjoy~ Take a break~ Play some poker or mah-jong~ Have some fun… It doesn’t mean that you have to win all the bets. Loosing can be fun too! Or even best—making others paying for your lost! That’s the main fun of the game yo~

One more trick which can save you from a disastrous moment. Do not open any red packet in front of anybody, especially the one who gives it to you. It’s seriously disrespectful. How would you feel if you give me a red packet and I open right in front of you and I give you the kind of “what? RM2?? Buy a bowl of noodles also not enough” face? Not all red packet have the same amount of money, people may feel jealous of you when they saw you peep on your red packet and likewise. Actually red packet is a symbol. It is a kind of luck, it’s has never been the amount of the content. A lot of people had been really misunderstood the meaning of it.  

Anyway…

GONG XI FAT CAI!

GONG HEI FAT CHOY!

GIONG HEE GIONG HEE!

HAPPY CHINESEY NEW YEAR from Be@rbrick!


Most IMpoRTantLY…. ANG POW TAKE LAI!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment